Thursday, January 12, 2017

And that's why he's called 'Cliff Hanger' !!

There used to be a kids show on PBS during the weekdays called "Between the Lions". It was a show that focused on a family of lions (portrayed with puppets) who lived in a library. During the course of the show, there would be segments that taught the viewers about phonics, spelling, basic grammar and how to read. Yes, this show's target audience was basically young children who were learning to read.

Anyways, one of the segments dealt with the male lion cub, Lionel, reading a series of adventure books to the audience that starred a protagonist, named Cliff Hanger, who was out adventuring one day and fell off a cliff. He just barely managed to grab onto a branch jutting out halfway down, with said branch being precariously close to snapping. Each segment/book had a situation present itself to Cliff that could potentially help him to escape his predicament, during which he would grab his "trusty survival manual" out of his pack, read the advice dealing with said situation therein and act on said advice. However, something would inevitably fail and Cliff would wind back hanging from the same branch shouting, "Can't...hold...on...much...longer!!!" as the branch wobbled and cracked, essentially leaving the audience on a "cliff hanger" as to whether or not he'd fall down or escape in time.

I feel your pain Cliff...

I brought this up because I often feel like poor "Cliff Hanger" in that I'm hanging precariously from a wobbling cracking branch halfway down a cliff and no matter what I try to escape that situation, I feel like I always wind back on that same branch. I feel like I'm always on the edge of whether or not I'll escape the depression for good.

It's a good thing that, in the end of the series, Cliff managed to escape the branch once and for all, and wound up relaxing in a lounge chair that was beachside, on a tropical island resort. His signature "Cant..hang...on...much....longer!" was replaced with "Can't....stay....awake....much.....longer.", after which he fell asleep. So maybe if I keep at it like Cliff, I'll someday get off that branch. One can only hope.

Well, that's all for now.

TTFN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment